There is nothing like the feeling of coming in from a cold day, and warming the body with a great bowl of soup. This Sweet Potato Curry gives you that exact feeling X 10!
It was a crowd favorite even for our oldest daughter who doesn’t like meat much. It’s vegan approved, but you can easily add some shredded chicken if you prefer meat and want to increase your protein. But you still get a an ample amount of protein from the lentils alone. Plus loads of fiber, and Vitamin A from the lentils and sweet potatoes.
The thing that really makes this dish stand out though are the pickled red onions and cilantro to top it off. Trust me….don’t skip on the pickled red onions!!
- 4 cups peeled, cubed sweet potato (about 2 medium)
- 3 1/2 cups water, divided
- 2 cups dried red lentils
- 2 cups low-sodium fat-free vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste (such as Thai Kitchen)
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6-oz.) can tomato paste
- 1 cup canned light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1.5lb chicken breast; shredded (optional)
(1) Add sweet potato, 3 cups water, lentils, vegetable broth, white onion, red curry paste, Garam masala, ginger, and turmeric in a slow cooker coated with cooking spray.
(2) Add 1 teaspoon sugar, salt, garlic, and tomato paste; stir well to combine. Cover and cook on low 8 hours.
(3) Turn off heat; stir in coconut milk. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes.
(4) Combine 1/2 cup water, 2 teaspoons sugar, and vinegar in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave on high 2 minutes or until boiling. Add onion to heated vinegar mixture and let stand 20 minutes at room temperature. Then Drain.
(5) Scoop lentils into bowls and top each “pickled red onions” and 2 cilantro. Add shredded chicken if using
~ Coach Anthony
What to do Next?
Leave a comment about your thoughts after you’ve made them, and share a picture. We love seeing what you make. Then subscribe to our weekly blog below for NEW RECIPES, WORKOUT TIPS, and strategies to improve your health.